Upgrade from an older version
From b2evolution manual
This manual page is outdated. NEW PAGE: Upgrade From An Older Version in b2evolution v5+.
Note: starting with version 1.8.1, any x.y.* version is fully compatible with another version x.y.* . This means, for example that you can replace the files of version 1.8.1 with the files of version 1.8.2 without making any change to your database or skins. This also means that you can revert from version 1.8.2 to version 1.8.1 just by replacing the files. No need to restore a database backup.
Note: This scheme has already been working for versions 0.9.* as well as version 1.6.* with some minor exceptions.
 Common upgrade mistakes, problems & solutions
- If you do a minor upgrade, like from version a.b.x to a.b.y, you don't need to upgrade the database. You can still run the install script but don't worry if doesn't do anything. If the admin works without telling you to upgrade your database, your database is up to date.
- If you get big fat ugly PHP errors that you don't see on the demo site, something went wrong with your FTP upload. Check for 0 byte long files on your server. Upload again.
- If the admin interface works fine but the pubic interface to your blog has problems, please try switching back to one of the standard skins included in the distribution in order to make sure whether or not the problem is due to a third party skin.
- If you still have problems, please try disabling all your plugins (you won't lose your settings) in order to assess whether or not the problem might be caused by an incompatible plugin.
 Specific details
The general procedure below will work in most situations.
However, if you have a highly customized skin for example, you may want to upgrade that skin instead of using a new skin from a new release. In this case, use the detailed instructions linked here:
- upgrade from 0.9.x to 1.6 alpha (not recommended)
- upgrade from 0.9.x to 1.8.x (not recommended)
- upgrade from 0.9.x to 1.10.3 or 2.4rc2 (read this if you have an 0.9.x install)
- upgrade from 0.9.x to 2.x (read this if you have an 0.9.x install)
- upgrade from 1.6.x to 1.8.x (obsolete, left here for the information it carries)
- upgrade from 1.8.x to 1.9.x (obsolete, left here for the information it carries)
- upgrade from 1.10.x to 2.x
- upgrade from 2.x to 3.x
 See also
 General procedure for upgrading from a previous version of b2evolution
The latest documentation for upgrading is included in your blog bundle, in the doc directory, for example doc/upgradefrom_b2evo.en-UK.html. The following documentation refers to that included with version 0.9.2, with some minor changes.
Before you begin, please note that some network features of b2evolution require you to agree to our simple Terms of Service. Also note that there will be some minor downtime to your blog by following these instructions.
 Backup all your b2evolution files
The easiest way to do this is to rename the b2evolution directory on your server.
Do not forget backing up your /media/ folder. That's where your uploads (pictures and files) are stored. Furthermore there are settings in your /conf/ folder like the database connection information in _basic_conf.php that you want to keep for reference. Also your modified skins (stored in the /skins/ folder) and plugins in the /plugins/ folder are things you may want to use after the upgrade.
 Backup your database
You should also backup your database if you can. This functionality should be provided by your host.
 Delete the existing files
Delete all your existing b2evolution files from your site before uploading the new ones! This will ensure you don't keep unnecessary files on your server after upgrading. It's also better for security.
 Upload all new b2evolution files from the /blogs folder to your site
We cannot stress this enough: ALL FILES! And that means you can't reuse your customized files, including /conf, skins, blog templates, stubfiles, etc. as they are!
That means you will have to customize all these files again. We're sorry but, due to the pace of development and adding of new features, we cannot guarantee that anything will work if you keep older files in place. However, since you have backed up all these files in step 1, you can try to partially reuse them once the upgrade process is done. See step 8 below.
 Run the installation script on your server
It is located in
http://yoursite.com/yourblogsfolder/install . Then, simply follow the on screen instructions.
The installer will ask you basic configuration settings (unless you have already updated
/conf/_basic_config.php before uploading), then allow you to run a database upgrade from any b2evolution version to the new one.
 Check to make sure the new installation works.
If it doesn't, check if there are specific details for your specific version listed above.
 Delete the
This prevents others overwriting your settings.
 Bring back your previous customizations
We recommend you get yourself a diff/merge tool like WinMerge. This will allow you to easily compare your old (backuped) files with the new files (even whole directories at once) and report changes accordingly.
In the specific details section above, you may find useful information for upgrading from and to your specifc versions.
You can also check the Forums for experience from other users.
 Handle the tricky stuff
After basic install is done, there are a few tricky things you may need to take care off.